When John was born, in 1934, his mother gifted him with three names: John, Constantin, and Brâncuşi. She told him his father was Constantin Brâncuşi, the famous sculptor, but...
Cinema, Mon Amour, directed by Alexandru Belc, will be distributed in the Romanian cinemas by Transilvania Film, starting from October 21, 2016. Cinema, Mon Amour won Cinema Warrior 2016 - a cultural resistance award at Trieste Film Festival (Italy), Best Documentary Film trophy at Gopo Awards 2016 and Best Editing award at Docuart Film Festival. This summer, it was selected in the documentary competition at Sarajevo Film Festival.
The film was also selected at international festivals - DOK Leipzig, Jaipur International Film Festival (India), Helsinki IFF (Finland), Tempo Documentary Festival, Stockholm, Sweden, Docs Against Gravity Film Festival (Warszaw Poland), AFI Docs, Edinburgh IFF.
The documentary reflects a current situation in Romania, where most of the cities do not have a functional cinema. Cinema, Mon Amour follows the story of Victor Purice – manager, former projectionist and lifetime cinephile along with his two employees, Cornelia & Lorena, in their everyday battle to preserve Dacia Panoramic Cinema in Piatra Neamt – one of the last remaining cinemas in Romania today. Having lived through “the golden age” of cinema, Victor dreams of bringing back the good old glory days, yet struggles to keep up with the new harsh reality. In a theater that lacks heating and is slowly falling apart, with no support from the State who owns the place, it’s almost a Don Quixote fight.
- Producer: Tudor Giurgiu / Libra Films Productions
- Co-Producers: Radovan Síbrt, Viktória Hozzová / Pink Productions
- Producer HBO Europe: Hanka Kastelicová
- Producers HBO Romania: Andra Radu, Aurelian Nica
- Executive Producers: Bogdan Crăciun, Viktória Hozzová
- International Sales: Catherine Le Clef / CAT&Docs
- With the support of: State Cinematography Fund Czech Republic and Creative Europe Programme – MEDIA of the European Union